Snakes are perhaps one of the most dreaded living things on earth. They may not be the most dangerous anyway but their appearance and sleek movements are things to dread. They not all venomous but must be avoided by all means as one may not know which is carrying the venom. However, there are things to do when a snake bites.
Below are four ways to treat a snake bite as fast as possible
- Remove any jewelry or watches, as these could cut into the skin if swelling occurs.
- Keep the area of the bite below the heart in order to slow the spread of venom through the bloodstream.
- Remain still and calm.
- Cover the bite with a clean, dry bandage.
Important First Aid after a snake bite
- Call an ambulance immediately. You should treat any snake bite as an emergency, regardless of whether you think the snake was venomous or not.
- Don’t panic and don’t move.
- Leave the snake alone.
- Apply a pressure immobilisation bandage and splint.
- Don’t wash, suck, cut or band the bite.